To improve your website’s rankings you need to work on the 4 pillars I’ve talked about in the previous section. You need to make sure it is crawlable, have a good technical condition, create the right content and offer a great user experience.
SEO is not a science, but it’s not black magic neither
There are a lot of things Google don’t tell us but SEO experts around the world have made some conclusions. You need to work both your onsite seo and offsite seo to improve your rankings.
SEO tactics are separated across 2 main groups, Onsite and Offsite. We even have our own periodic table, isn’t it that awesome?
- Onsite SEO is about everything sitting on a website, whether it’s content, technology or even architecture. The purpose of onsite SEO is to improve users experience and create content.
- Offsite SEO is about driving authority to a website by leveraging social medias, backlinks, and mentions.
How to do SEO the right way ?
A great SEO strategy is made of 5 steps.
- Perform onsite and offsite Audits
- Craft an SEO strategy
- Implement the strategy
- Analyse the performance of your SEO strategy
- Repeat the process
Step 1: The audit, Onsite and Offsite
Like every marketing discipline it’s really important to understand the environment by doing some research around your company before to create a strategy. The audit is an essential part of an SEO process and will help you to find everything you have to know about your website. You will find below all the question you need to answer to be sure you don’t forget anything important.
General, competitive environment and performance questions
- What is your offer?
- Where is your audience? (Location)
- How your website is performing in term of organic traffic? (Google Analytics)
- What are the keywords you need to target? (Keyword research)
- Who are your organic competitors?
- How your competitors are doing in SEO?
- How your website is ranking on the targeted keywords?
- What are your organic share of voice for each topic/product?
- How search engines are seeing your website? (Google Search Console…)
- How healthy is your website? (Technical SEO)
- What kind of content do you currently have?
- How your content is organised? (Internal Architecture/ Semantic)
- How user interact with your website? (User experience)
- Check my complete onsite SEO checklist
- What is your website authority? (Citation Flow, backlinks…)
- Who is talking about you? (mentions and backlinks)
- Are you using all the relevant social networks ?
- Do you have a listing on Google My Business?
- Do you have a listing on the website relevant to your business? (Angel.co / Yelp…)
Step 2: Write a SEO strategy
After you have made a great audit it’s time to write recommendations about the things you think which can be improved. Keep in mind that the documents that you are producing are 50% of your work value so you need to give more details as possible.
For me, a good strategy document should be understandable by everyone and have clear guidelines.
Depending on the size of the project it’s better to create a strategy document for each topic.
Step 3: Implementation/ Project Management
From my experience the implementation is where most of the companies are struggling.
2 scenarii here, the easiest one is that you can implement the recommendations yourself, the second one is that you need to manage the project and this is where lot of others skills are recquired.
It’s time to engage the battle with the different departments of your company you need to involve.
Don’t forget that people that are new to SEO don’t understand all the geeky words you might use. So try to find the right words to make it easily understandable.
Also, try to breakdown your recommendations into small pieces of work instead of giving a big report that will probably go in the garbage. It works for me.
Step 4: Reporting
To fully understand the impact of your recommendations you need to monitor
Step 5: Start the process again
You can always improve something in SEO. If you are done with technical SEO, you can have a content marketing strategy, or improve your IA to go after new keywords.